Water is the most important element on earth. Humans and animals rely on water to survive. Plants rely on water to thrive. Everywhere you look, water is the lifeblood of our entire lives on this planet. That’s why when it comes to the water we have in our homes, it’s extremely important that the water is safe, clean, and clear. The only way to ensure your West Palm Beach, FL water quality is up to par is with a whole-house water filtration system installed. Call Cleary Plumbing & Air to get your water filtration system installed or repaired today!
Hard water can wreak havoc on our fixtures, skin, hair, laundry, and dishes. Call us today to get your whole-home water softener system installed!
Common Contaminants in Tap Water
When it comes to the topic of health, air quality and water quality are extremely important. Many people consume water daily without once stopping to question the quality of water they’re drinking. The reason water quality is important is that not all water is treated equally. While many people may believe water is the only ingredient of what they’re drinking, that is almost never actually the case. Water can become contaminated by many different sources.
Some of the most common infiltrators of our water supply include:
- Pesticides: Pesticides are used just about everywhere around us to keep our grass and plants green. However, these same pesticides that help our greenery grow can wreak havoc on our water supply. When it rains, these pesticides can runoff from their source and infiltrate our soil and groundwater. These chemicals can have various negative impacts on our health from skin rashes to digestive issues.
- Waste from Sewage System: Another common source of contaminated water is waste from our sewer systems infiltrating our water supply. This can occur when our main sewer lines become compromised and the result is wastage seeping into the groundwater. This kind of contamination has horrid effects such as hepatitis, dysentery, and the presence of E. coli.
- Lead: When you think of water contamination, lead poisoning is presumably the first thing that comes to mind. Lead can enter our water supply from paint, lead pipes, and other materials around our homes that utilize lead. Lead is extremely detrimental to our health so consuming water that has been exposed to lead can be fatal.
- Fluoride: While small traces of fluoride in your water supply isn’t dangerous, too much of anything is never a good thing. However, in some cities, such as West Palm Beach, fluoride is added to the public water supply for its benefits on teeth and bone health. Unfortunately, it’s up to individual homeowners to monitor the levels of fluoride in their water.
How Water Filtration Works?
After you’ve learned of the many dangerous contaminants that may be lurking in your home’s water supply, you are probably wondering what you can do to protect your home and family. The answer is simple: whole-house water filtration. These filtration systems are great at eliminating impurities and harmful contaminants from your water.
The four most popular water filtration processes are:
- Reverse Osmosis: Reverse osmosis filters eliminate contaminants by utilizing water pressure to filter your tap water through a semipermeable membrane. When water passes through, all the contaminants such as lead, mercury, and iron are left behind. While a great option for removing all the major contaminants, reverse osmosis can’t remove certain pesticides, metals, and solvents.
- Ion Exchange: Ion exchange filters are a great option for treating hard water. The process involves releasing ions, such as sodium, and swapping them out for undesired ions. This process will leave you with soft, better-tasting water. However, this process isn’t for everyone as it does raise the sodium levels of your water.
- Distillation: Steam distillation involves heating water and cooling steam in order to eliminate contaminants in your water supply. This is a population filtration choice since it is the most natural and it usually involves heating the water, turning it into steam, and collecting and condensing the steam back to the water. However, one con to this process is it also eliminates beneficial minerals from your water.
- Activated Carbon Filters: The most popular filtration system amongst homeowners, activated carbon filters utilizes charcoal to purify the water supply. Charcoal is a form of carbon so it is able to trap contaminants by attracting compounds, such as lead, as they pass through the filter.
Benefits of Whole-House Water Filtration System
As you’ve probably figured by now, there are many benefits to installing a whole-house water filtration system in your home. Some of these benefits include:
- Safe drinking water
- Eliminate plastic usage
- Improve skin quality
- Save money on bottled water
- Reduce plumbing repair costs
- Better-tasting water
- Improve emergency preparedness
- And more!
If poor water quality has negatively affected your home’s pipes, we can help. Call us today and ask about our whole-home repiping services.
Call the Water Quality Experts Today!
Since 1991, Cleary Plumbing & Air has been dedicated to making the life of the homeowner easier! We care about the quality of your water, for your health and for the health of all of your fixtures, appliances, and pipes. Whether you need a new water filtration system installed or your current one needs repairs, we can help. Give us a call today to take advantage of our affordable membership plans, flexible financing options, and quality 24-hour emergency services!