When it comes to systems in your home that could fail you, there is perhaps no bigger inconvenience than a damaged sewer line. Responsible for removing the waste from your home’s toilets and fixtures, our main sewer line is an unsung hero that we often don’t appreciate until it’s too late. If you find yourself in the middle of a stinky situation, call Cleary Plumbing & Air and find out how our main sewer line repair and installation services can benefit your West Palm Beach, FL home.
Sewer line damage emergencies can’t wait until the morning. Thanks to our professional 24-hour emergency services, you can call us at any time!
Signs Your Sewer Line Needs Repairs
A damaged sewer line can have a wide array of unwarranted effects from flooding to a contaminated water supply. These negative impacts can wreak havoc on your home and all those who inhabit it. The best way to prevent the occurrence of these negative effects is by recognizing what sewer line damage looks like.
Some of the most common signs that your sewer line needs professional attention include:
- Fluctuating Toilet Water: A common indication that your sewer line is damaged is inconsistent levels of water in your toilet bowl. If you notice that one day the toilets in your home have a high water level and the next day they are low, you could be dealing with a broken sewer line.
- Water is Slow to Drain: Another sure way to know your sewer line needs attention is if your home’s sinks, toilets, and showers take forever to drain. When this happens, it may be tempting to opt for a store-bought drain cleaning solution but these quick fixes often do more harm than good.
- Strange Sounds Emitting From Drains: Clanking or gurgling sounds are common indications that your sewer line needs repairs. If your fixtures or drains are generating strange sounds, give us a call right away.
- Foul Odor: The smell of sewer water can stop anyone in their tracks, especially when the odor is persistent and you can’t seem to find the culprit. If you are experiencing sewage smells in your home, it’s time to call the professionals.
- Changes in Lawn: One of the telltale signs that your sewer line is damaged is by paying attention to your yard. If you notice random soggy patches or areas of your grass that are greener than others, you may be dealing with a leaky sewer line.
- Increased Pest Activity: No one wants rats and roaches on their property. However, when a sewer line leak is present, this is usually exactly what happens. These pests are drawn to moist, smelly environments making a leaky sewer line the prime living condition.
Common Culprits of Sewer Line Damage
After you’ve learned what a sewer line leak looks like, it’s best to educate yourself on what caused the occurrences in the first place. There are various culprits that could damage your sewer line, some of which include:
- Collapsed Sewer Line: Over time, our sewer lines can simply give out to wear and tear. Years ago, sewer lines were constructed using iron and clay materials which aren’t exactly the best materials to use when it comes to a sewer line.
- Intrusive Tree Roots: Another common cause of a damaged sewer line is intrusive tree roots. As trees continue to grow and spread out, their roots seek out water by any means necessary, even if it means infiltrating your main sewer line.
- Faulty Installation: In some cases, the reason sewer lines fail has little to do with outside elements and lots to do with the way they were initially installed. Whether installed by a careless contractor or interfered with by an unsuspecting gardener, our main sewer lines are prone to damage simply from human intervention.
- Increased Pressure: Clogs and blockages can not only obstruct the free flow of water in your pipes, but they can also add increased pressure to your sewer line. The worst-case scenario that can occur when a blockage is obstructing the draining of your home’s sewer line is backflow. If you are experiencing backflow, give us a call right away.
If you suspect increased pressure is the culprit of your sewer line damage, you may be in need of professional drain cleaning services. Call us today to see if this service may be beneficial to you!
Call Our Plumbing Experts Today!
Since 1991, Cleary Plumbing & Air has been providing professional plumbing services to the greater West Palm Beach area. From main sewer line repairs to professional hydro jetting services, when it comes to your plumbing emergencies, we are here to help! Give us a call today to find out more about our emergency services and financing and membership plans!