Living in Southern Florida, you get the best of both worlds when it comes to weather conditions. Our summer days are filled with warm sunshine and we also get to enjoy the cold when winter comes. Here in West Palm Beach, it’s essential to have both a heating and a cooling system to remain comfortable all year round. For homeowners that have limited attic space for ductwork or simply don’t want a central HVAC system, this can be a problem. Luckily, our air conditioning experts at Cleary Plumbing & Air have a solution - ductless mini split AC systems.
In order to properly maintain your AC system, it’s essential to have routine air filter cleaning. Call us and find out how our professional air filter cleaning and replacement service can benefit you!
What Is a Ductless Mini-Split AC System?
Contrary to traditional AC systems, ductless mini-splits don’t require long ducts in order to circulate air throughout your home. Ductless mini-split systems utilize an individual fan and an indoor coil to supply cool or heated air to each room. These units are comprised of two main components: the indoor and outdoor units.
The indoor unit blows warm air over your unit’s cold evaporator coils to prove your home with cool air when your AC is activated. Refrigerant runs through the coils and takes in heat from the air and transports it to the outdoor unit.
The outdoor unit then disposes of the heat that was pulled from your home’s indoor air. The process is reversed when your mini-split system is acting as your heating unit.
Signs Your Ductless Mini-Split System Needs Repairs
Although our technology has advanced and the general lifespan of our HVAC systems has increased, every now and then your ductless mini-split system may experience malfunctions and require repair. Some of the most common signs your ductless mini-split unit may need professional repair service including:
- Spiked Utility Bill: One telltale sign that your HVAC system isn’t operating as efficiently as it should is an increase in utility bills. Aside from our HVAC systems losing efficiency with age, sometimes small factors such as dirty air filters or a broken thermostat can cause issues with our units and force them to work harder than usual.
- Strange Noise: If your mini-split AC unit is emitting strange noises such as grinding or rumbling, this may indicate that the oiled bearings utilized to reduce motor friction have begun to wear down. If not addressed in a timely manner, this could cause your air handler motor to overheat or burn out.
- Broken Controls: Another common issue homeowners often experience with their AC system is unresponsive controls. If your unit is failing to turn on or off, you may be dealing with an electrical issue or a problem with the reversing valve.
- Frozen Evaporator Coils: If you notice ice around your unit’s outdoor cooling coils, you may be experiencing a faulty thermostat, a dirty air filter, leaking refrigerant, or a broken fan. This could mean that your coil needs to be replaced in order to get your AC system back up and running.
Benefits of Going Ductless
When homeowners are on the market for a new AC system, we always recommend going with a ductless mini-split system, and for good reason! Some of the benefits you can expect to reap with this ductless systems include:
- Save Money: One of the best factors about ductless mini-split AC units is they operate on less power than their conventional counterparts. They are smaller, temperature-regulated, and located in each room so you don’t have to worry about paying the same cost to cool a room you barely use as you would one you’re in every day. This zoning saves homeowners thousands of dollars in energy-consumption each year.
- Enhanced Air Quality: Over time, ductwork can accumulate lots of dust, debris, pet dander, and other particles you wouldn’t want to be circulated throughout your home. Going ductless eliminates this problem and provides improved filtration since each individual unit can be regulated.
- Easy Installation: Since there are no ducts that need to be installed, ductless mini-split AC system installation services are less invasive and can be installed and in use in less than 24 hours. With these units, you don’t have to worry about knocking down walls or drilling holes in ceilings to install them.
- Dual Systems: One of the most attractive advantages of these units is they can act as both a heating and cooling unit. That means you can save money on installation costs instead of installing two separate HVAC systems.
After you’ve gotten your ductless mini-split AC system installed, it’s important to properly maintain your unit in order to get the most out of it. Call us today to schedule your AC maintenance & tune-up services!
Call Us Today!
Since 1991, Cleary Plumbing & Air has been providing West Palm Beach homeowners with reliable HVAC services to cater to all your heating and cooling needs. Whether you’re upgrading your conventional AC system to a ductless mini-split unit, or your current AC needs repairs, we can help. Call us today to take advantage of our flexible financing options, affordable membership plans, and 24-hour dependable emergency services.