Our HVAC systems rely on various factors to operate properly. One of these essential factors is the air handler, whose primary goal is to distribute cool air into our homes. Without a properly functioning air handler, our air conditioners would be virtually ineffective. If you’re experiencing problems with your air handler or are noticing fluctuations in the airflow of your West Palm Beach, FL home, you may be in need of professional air handler repair or replacement services. Give us a call today to find out how our services can benefit you!
Air handlers are just one component of our AC systems, but there are other parts that could negatively affect your unit as well. Call us Cleary Plumbing & Air today for professional AC repair service.
What Is an Air Handler?
An air handler is a device that circulates air across your HVAC unit’s evaporator coil, into your home’s ductwork, and into your home. Air handlers are an internal unit of a split AC system or a heat pump. Your air handler is made up of four essential parts:
- Evaporator Coil: The evaporator coil, or indoor coil, is the most important part of your air handler. When you turn on your split AC system, the cold coil will lower humidity levels in your home and make the air circulated throughout your home feel colder than it actually is.
- Blower Motors: The blower motor’s job is to transfer the newly cooled or heated air through your home’s ducts and into your home. These motors come in various speeds such as single-speed, multi-speed, or variable speed. They are good at regulating humidity levels and maintaining a consistent temperature at all times.
- Supply & Return Plenum Connections: Air supply and return plenum connections are the pieces that connect your ducts to your air handler. The supply plenum delivers cool or heated air into your home while the return plenum returns the air to the handler that is waiting to be conditioned.
- Filter: Air filters are quite literally what they imply. Filters are put in place to prevent undesirable particles such as dirt, dust, debris, pollen, etc. from circulating throughout your home when your HVAC system is running.
Common Air Handler Problems
Just like any component of your HVAC system, our air handlers can experience issues at some point that negatively affect their efficiency. Some of the most common air handler issues include:
- Broken Fan Unit: Your air handler is responsible for delivering conditioned air into your home but this task would be impossible without a properly working fan unit. Over time, it’s not uncommon for these units to require some maintenance. If you notice strange noises emitting from your unit or if your unit is no longer blowing air, you may need repair or replacement services.
- Leaks: Another common issue that can happen with our air handler is leaking condensation. As the unit works hard to provide cool air, condensation is collected underneath the air handler. However, this condensation can sometimes lead to clogs in the drain line and the result may be excessive moisture or leaking at the bottom of the unit.
- Dirty Blower: Air filters protect the blower from accumulating dust and debris. However, when proper maintenance is neglected, both the air filters and the blower can become clogged.
- Clogged Evaporator Coils: If our indoor coils aren’t properly maintained and cleaned regularly, they can become clogged and damaged. The best way to prevent this problem from occurring is with routine evaporator coil maintenance services.
Dirty air filters and clogged evaporator coils aren’t the only factors that negatively impact our home’s indoor air quality. Call us today to find out how our air duct cleaning services can benefit you!
Your Trusted HVAC Experts
For almost 30 years, Cleary Plumbing & Air has been providing homeowners in the greater West Palm Beach area with quality HVAC services, including professional air handler installation, repair, and replacement services.
Call us today to take advantage of our outstanding customer service, flexible financing options, and affordable membership plans. Let us show you why our experts are clearly the best!