When we think of our HVAC systems, we probably think of units like an air conditioner, a heater, and dehumidifier. However, one thing all these units have in common is they all have a filter to catch contaminants before they are able to circulate around your West Palm Beach, FL home. So what happens when the filter itself becomes clogged with these same contaminants they were designed to catch? The answer is simple: nothing good! Call Cleary Plumbing & Air today to get your AC & furnace filters replaced so you won’t have to find out the answer to that question!
Air filter replacement is just one step in keeping your home’s indoor air quality in good condition. Call us today to take it a step further with whole-home air purifier services.
Signs You Need AC Filter Replacement
Air filters need to be changed frequently in order for them to do their job properly. It’s recommended that your AC or furnace’s filters are changed at least once every three months. However, if you have pets in your home, your filters should be changed every two months and if anyone in your home suffers from respiratory issues such as asthma, your filters need replacing every month.
If you’re unsure when the last time you changed your air filters were, that’s probably a good sign your filters need replacing ASAP. Some signs that indicate you have dirty air filters include:
- Increased Energy Bills: If you’ve recently noticed a spike in your home’s energy bills, your dirty air filter may be to blame. When our HVAC systems become clogged with dirt and debris and are unable to ward off airborne contaminants, it can cause our units to have to work harder just to supply us with cool air or heat.
- Your AC Unit is Hot: Another common indicator that it’s time for your AC filter to be replaced is if you notice that your AC unit is hot or emitting warm air. When our filters become clogged, our AC units often have a hard time keeping our homes cool and will ultimately shorten the lifespan of the unit.
- Dust Near Vents: One obvious sign that your air filters are dirty is the visible onset of dust accumulating near your air vents. You can even perform the white sheet test which means hanging a clean white cloth near your vents for an hour. The darker the cloth gets, the dirtier your air filters are.
- Onset of Allergy Symptoms: Your home’s HVAC system has a direct effect on your health, for better or for worse. If you notice that your allergies worsen every time you step foot in your home, your dirty air filters are probably the culprit.
Benefits of Timely Filter Replacement
Replacing your HVAC’s system air filters can be quite literally life-changing. Dirty air filters have numerous negative effects on our health from respiratory issues to worsening our pre-existing allergy symptoms. Some of the benefits you can expect include:
- Enhanced Air Quality: When you change your air filters, you are improving your indoor air quality tremendously. A clean air filter eliminates the presence of pollen, dirt, debris, pet dander, dust mites, and other pollutants that would otherwise be circulated around your home.
- Save Energy Costs: Clogged air filters make our HVAC systems work 10 times harder than they need to with a perfectly clean air filter. This is because without an effective air filter in place, our heating and cooling systems have no protection against harmful contaminants that become lodged within our units. By changing the air filters in your home, you can save up to 15% on your utility bills which will save you hundreds of dollars each year.
- Increased Lifespan of Unit: When our HVAC systems become clogged with dirt and debris, this can cause extensive damage to our unit and decrease the lifespan of our heating and cooling systems. Replacing your air filters will significantly increase the lifespan of your unit and reduce the need for repair services.
- Help the Environment: As our climate rapidly changes, it’s becoming increasingly important to make lifestyle changes that positively impact the environment. A clogged air filter results in an overworked HVAC system that can lead to increased carbon monoxide levels and greenhouse gasses. By routinely changing your air filters, you are bettering the environment even if in a small way.
When it comes to your indoor air quality and HVAC systems, ductwork plays a major role in keeping things clean as well. Call us today and ask about our air duct cleaning and repair services.
Work With Us Today
Since 1991, Cleary Plumbing & Air has been consistently providing the greater West Palm Beach area with dependable HVAC maintenance, repair, and installation services. Whether you’re looking for ways to extend the lifespan of your AC or furnace or you’re looking for ways to do your part towards the betterment of the environment, our air filter replacement services can help! Call us today to take advantage of our quality emergency services, competitive rates, and flexible financing options.